By: Kelsey Pinault (University of Miami)
Follow Kelsey on Twitter
With summer now in full effect and school a distant though, I decided to take on the terrible task of finding some of the perfect summer drinks. Whether you’re at a BBQ, on the beach, or just enjoying a nighttime summer breeze, these drinks are the perfect company for any occasion.
1. Top Shelf Margarita. My personal favorite, this tangy drink is perfect on ice or frozen. Maybe a margarita isn’t the most new and exciting drink but it’s perfect after a hot summer day while getting ready for a night out.
2 oz Jose Cuervo Gold
1 oz Grand Marnier
5 oz Jose Cuervo Margarita Mix
1 lime wedge
Shake all ingredients and pour with ice. Rim your glass with salt first if you’re feeling daring.
2. Bikini Martini. This blue drink screams summer – not to mention the name. Even if gin isn’t your normal liquor of choice, everyone should give this a try. (Consider this for a festive 4th of July cocktail!)
3 oz Bombay Sapphire gin
2 tbsp Blue Curacoa
1 tbsp Peach Schnapps
1 packet of Equal
Squeeze of fresh lime juice
Shake all ingredients together with ice, then strain into glass.
3. Watermelon Mojito. This traditional Cuban drink is super refreshing and light. Although you can add just about any fruit from strawberries to blueberries, with watermelons in season, the pink fruit is a perfect match.
2 oz Bacardi Silver rum
4 slices seedless watermelon
6-8 mint leaves
3 lime wedges
1 oz simple syrup (sugar water)
In a shaker muddle the mint leaves, watermelon slices and lime wedges together (make sure the limes are on top of the mint so the leaves don’t get too chopped), add simple syrup and shake with ice. Pour the mixture in a glass with ice and top with some club soda.
4. Long Island Iced Tea. If you’ve had a tough day at the summer job, this is the drink for you. Don’t play on operating any heavy machinery afterwards though, because this drink is even stronger than it tastes with five types of liquor.
½ oz triple sec
½ oz vodka
½ oz light rum
½ oz tequila
1 oz sour mix
Shake all liquors and sour mix together with ice. Pour and top with cola.
5. Fancy Lawnmower Beer. Okay so being honest I haven’t tried this one yet, but I have done my research. The brewing company describes this light golden beer as “crisp and refreshing, yet has a sweet malty body that is balanced by a complex, citrus hop character.” If you’re in need of a drink with little work involved, beer is always the best fix. Also try the delicious Belgian beer, Blue Moon, garnished with an orange slice for a beer with great flavor.
Just pop the cap and enjoy!